With their nutty, buttery flavor and creamy texture, chickpeas can be transformed into the dreamiest soup. Drizzle with an easy paprika oil for an elegant touch, and if you want extra crunch, our addictive Crispy Chickpeas.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots (8 oz), chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- Kosher salt
- 2 15-oz cans low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven or a heavy-bottomed pot on medium. Add onion, carrots, leek, garlic, and 1/2 tsp salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add all but 1/4 cup chickpeas and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and 2 cups water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until vegetables are very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While soup simmers, make paprika oil: Heat canola oil and paprika in a small saucepan on medium until warm. Remove from heat, strain, and let cool. Roughly chop remaining 1/4 cup chickpeas.
- With an immersion blender or a standard blender, in batches, puree soup until very smooth. Serve drizzled with paprika oil and topped with reserved chickpeas (or Crispy Chickpeas). Save remaining paprika oil for another use.