The amount of protein found in lentils is up to 35%, which is comparable to red meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products. We make this recipe simple so that you can enjoy your meal and have fun when cooking. Try it and tell us what you think!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 peeled and chopped medium carrots
- 1 minced garlic clove.
- 1 medium, chopped onion (about 1 cup)
- 2 chopped medium, celery ribs
- 2 cups brown lentils (picked over, rinsed and dried)
- 2 medium size (1 pound) sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into ½ inch pieces.
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 (14 ½ oz) can of diced tomatoes in juice
- 9 ounce (1 package) frozen cut green beans Black pepper and coarse salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
- Low-fat yogurt (plain), to serve
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, and bay leaf then cook stirring for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables have softened. Add in garlic and curry powder and then cook for a minute or more until fragrant.
- Add in lentils and 7 cups of water then bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and continue cooking while covered until lentils and potatoes are just soft about 15 minutes. Pour in tomatoes with juice and green beans and cook for 2-4 minutes until warmed through.
- Remove bay leaf and add the cilantro while seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with yogurt if desired.