Use up overripe bananas and make banana bread with ground almonds and gluten-free flour. This recipe is ideal for anyone following a gluten-free diet
- 5 small ripe bananas (4 mashed, 1 sliced down the middle to decorate the top)
- 150g gluten-free self-raising flour
- 100g gluten-free oats
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon 90g dark brown sugar
- 90g caster sugar
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and line a 900g loaf tin with parchment paper (our tin was 19 x 9 x 6cm). Put all the ingredients, except the sliced banana, 1 tbsp caster sugar and the icing sugar, into a large bowl and stir until smooth and combined.
- Pour into the tin and put the two remaining banana halves cut-side up across the top of the batter, pressing down slightly. Sprinkle over the caster sugar. Bake for 1hr-1hr 15 mins until a skewer comes out clean, covering with foil towards the end of cooking if it browns too much.
- Dust with icing sugar and leave to cool.